Monday, September 30, 2013


XL T-shirt Repurposed into girls shirt

I decided to do the Project Run and Play Sew Along this week and I knew I needed a cute top or shirt to go with the aqua blue circle skirt I made but didn't have anything I liked that went with it. So I remembered that I purchased a brand new white XL t-shirt a while back for only 50cents, which was perfect cotton fabric for my new shirt that I wanted to make for my girl. My girls have a really cute shirt I like and they like so much so decided to made a pattern from that.
(sorry about some of the pics ended up side ways...I'll fix it when I figure it how)

These are the back and front pieces of the shirt I cut out.

 Unfortunately, I noticed that the front piece somehow I cut it too small, not sure how I managed to do that, I was trying to do it fast with my little ones around me. And so I thought I just ruined the shirt and had to figure out where to get another front piece from as I was looking at the left over remnant of the xl shirt I cut from originally. I noticed there was still some fabric left on the sides which was perfect. I immediately thought of making a shirred front, which was a perfect fix for my "mistake". And I love it better than my original plan. I cut the front part of the shirt right down the middle.

 Next I cut up one of the left over remnant side and made a 4 inch strip. Then I put my sewing machine on the highest thread setting (4) and sewed along both sides.

 After sewing along both sides of the 4 inch strip I slowly pulled the thread and gathered it to create a shirred look.

I shirred enough to make sure it fit just right between my front pattern pieces of the shirt.

Then I pinned it in place.

And serged it to the front shirt pieces.

After that was done I ironed it to stay nicely and then attached the back piece and pinned the sides and shoulder area, then serged and sewed through.

Then I thought about adding a little special touch, some aqua blue plaid fabric to match with the aqua blue plaid circle skirt. I measured the sleeve and cut. I should've left a little extra, next time I'll know better and make it right. Being my first time ever making this type of shirt I just went along with what I had and "fixed" my mistakes along the way to make it look better.

Then I pinned the arm sleeve and sewed all around.

For the neck part I wasn't quite sure what I really wanted. I serged the neckline then I folded it over and sewed all the way around the neck line.

I ended up adding some of the aqua blue plaid to the neck line to complete the look.

Here's the complete shirt and I must say I quite like it. It turned out way better than I thought.

Pictured below is the shirt with the matching Aqua Blue Plaid Circle Skirt, which I also have a tutorial for on my blog. I also made a matching bow hair clip to complete the outfit.


As long as my daughter loves it, I love it even more. Now my other girls want the same shirt as well. So I'll need to make a couple more shirts and have fun experiencing with different fabric. I'm also in the process of teaching them how to sew, so perhaps I'll help them make their own shirt. I'll try to make a tutorial or take pics and post them on the blog. I tried to explain the best I could, I'm not so good at explaining everything in detail, so hopefully my tutorials are easy to understand. Thanks everyone.